Gardening
My garden has increased in size every year. I use the term "garden" loosely, being that my first one consisted of various herbs and little more than a tomato plant in a pot. But these garden beds were inspired by a demonstration from my friend Becky Hammond, who displayed her talent in a step-by-step fashion at a meeting within our mother's group. How hard could it be? I headed to my favorite store, Home Depot, for 2x10x16' lumber, stakes, and Deckmate screws to construct one 3x5' and two 4x8' beds. After clearing the remnants of a much smaller garden area and tilling the ground, I assembled the garden bed frames with reinforced 2x4" corner posts, and placed the stakes 6" deep into the soil, then fastened to the interior walls.
Then came the dump truck... Brady's favorite part. He is a good little helper! Two and a half yards of gardening soil was sufficient for this project. For weed barrier beneath the soil, I used recycled cardboard cereal boxes and such, layered with newspaper, and hosed down with water.


5 Comments:
Kim, it looks great!! And I do love the gravel in between, necessary or not :) I'll bet you have lovely salads this year!
What a fantastic garden! I will definitely be stealing your garden plans in the future.
These are great Kim! I love Home Depot! We have 1 lonely potato growing in our garden. ;)
Hey Kim. What a great garden and look at those helpers! Where is Doug in the pictures? Sorry we have fallen out of touch with you guys but it is awesome to look in on the blog. Here is to a great harvest. Nate
Wow! I'm so impressed with your blog! I wish I could get my act together enough to do that but then I just tell myself: we can't all be bloggers. Someone has to be the reader :) I loved the garden photos. Very inspiring. I'm a little jealous of your tomato plants though. They're very hard to grow in W. Washington. I finally put in a greenhouse and will try that next year.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home